Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Meatloaf Monster

So I decided to go with Turkey Meatloaf, however, when I got to the store I found out that organic, or "traditionally raised(?)" ground turkey is super expensive. And don't scoff, I may be eating "normal" food but I can be a snob about the ingredients if I want to.

The recipe suggested that you could use TVP (or textured vegetable protein) instead. As a recovering vegan I knew TVP well. The recipe called for 2 1/2 pounds of the stuff. This seemed slightly ridiculous to me and I only wound up buying half that.

In the Kitchen: I have one totally legitimate reason why being anorexic is better - IT'S EASIER!! You just don't eat, period. This whole cooking thing is nuts. I went through so many pots and pans that I had to wash two loads. The chopping, the sauteing, the mixing, measuring, cooking, agh!! It's enough to make you gag. Bleh.

I swear, it was one calamity after another. I put the TVP in a bowl and soaked it...man there sure did look like a lot there. Oh well. Then it was sauteing the onions. It said "be sure not to burn" and I didn't know if they meant the onions or my eyes. I was tearing so badly that my delicately crafted eye make-up was dripping down my face. Ugh! So I finally wilt down 12 cups of greens, put it into yet ANOTHER bowl and get ready to put it all together. Well, the recipe called for a loaf pan but I had WAAYYY too much TVP. I wound up needing a cake pan. Crikey, I could have fed a football team. I want to be healthy, not bursting out the seams.

And to top it off I forgot to add the onions...damn onions. I decided I could just throw them on top. Well, that turned into an interesting crusty topping.

But here I am, 2 hours later and I am eating the best tasting meatloaf I've ever had. And yes, it is my first ever meatloaf, but it still qualifies as best ever.

I may still be counting my calories, measuring my food, blah blah blah, but at least this stuff tastes amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment