Sunday, January 10, 2010

Recipe 1 - Turkey Breast with Leek and Oatmeal Stuffing
courtesy of The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook

(Oy, my first day as a "normal eater" and I'm getting recipes from diet books)

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 small leek, well rinsed and chopped (apparently all leek farmers don't wash them)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Sea salt and black pepper
1 boneless, skinless turkey breast, approximately 3 pounds

*E-mail me if you want the recipe instructions

So I went to the store and tried to find everything on the list. I was good to go until I had to find the turkey. Damn Canadians. Everything was in kilograms. Okay, Sarah you work in a gym, what do the weights say. Right, 2.2 pounds for every kilogram. So I bought a 0.9 kg. turkey just in case. Of course, I didn't check to see if it was boneless, or skinless, so when I got home I had to navigate my way through trying to cut the bone off the breast without also not taking off my fingers.

I had everything cooking in the pan and was stuffing the turkey. I felt like such a Martha until I realized the one thing I forgot to get...string. Oh geez. So in a last ditch attempt to save the dish I kept the breast together using elastic bands. Hopefully they do not melt into the turkey.

The turkey is in the oven and I am awaiting my first "normal" meal. Oh, how my Grandma would be so proud...

Sarah xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment